The Wayne Township Parks and Recreation Department owns and operates three historic house museums: Schuyler-Colfax House, Van Riper-Hopper House, and Van Duyne House.
All three were put on the National and State Registers of Historic Places in the category of construction and design.
The Wayne Historical Commission provides vital support to the museums by raising funds, acquiring artifacts, and writing the history of Wayne.
It is one of a few colonial homesteads built circa 1700 on the east coast of the U. A., with an existing huge fireplace without sides called jambless.
The house was placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places because of its construction and design.
Eight generations of the Schuyler-Colfax family resided in the house, producing military, medical, legal and governmental representatives.
When the house was sold in 1993 to the Township of Wayne, the family left behind written records and artifacts.
The older sections of the house are the lower elevation sections.
After the Revolutionary War, Hester Schuyler married Captain William Colfax, the Captain of George Washington’s Life Guard.
They are credited with building the two-story portion.
The Schuyler-Colfax House is currently closed for rehabilitation.
Located in Wayne, The Dey Mansion is owned and operated by Passaic County Department of Parks and Recreation, not the Township of Wayne.